Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is the 3rd Time Really a Charm?

These last few weeks, my stomach has behaved like one of those super duper Whirlpool washing machines, 'cause what would my life be without these self provoked adrenaline rushes? So I got accepted at the UAB, and after reconsidering all my options, I pretty much decided to stick with it and give up on Granada, because by the time I would get an answer from them I should already be in Barcelona, and I'm not THAT big of a risk taker. Although you never know what I could cook up at the last minute.

Next step, buying a plane ticket, of course. After long hours of browsing the Internet and calling travel agencies, I've finally found a 520$ ticket to Barcelona for September 25 (Air Transat kind of rocks, btw! For now, at least...). It looked good to me, since I knew that I had to show up for registration on September 29 & 30, so after harassing my husband with messages and phone calls for about an hour (it's a miracle he didn't get fired!), I decided to buy it. After having sung "Kumbaya" and danced around the fire for joy, the next day I get a welcome message from the UAB and a handbook, which also mentioned that the first semester starts on September 15. Madonna, what do I do now?!!! Miss two weeks out of a one-year Master's programme? No way I could do that. First thing was to send my best wishes to those who offer all this "clear" information, after which I spent another day or so (until half an hour ago, to be more exact) looking for a similar plane ticket before September 15. After many calls, e-mails and an additional 150$, it looks like I'll be leaving September 13... well, almost September 14, since the departure time is 10.05 pm, so I shouldn't have too much bad luck. The plane will probably spend two extra hours on the runway anyway, so I'm safe.

While freaking out over the ticket issue, I was also looking for housing. Can't really afford to stay in Barcelona, and I don't se the point in living too far from the university, so I set my eyes on the university campus in Bellaterra. I would like to live alone at first, until I know whom I'm moving in with, so I decided to rent an individual room for about 270 euros. Same thing, write to them, wait for an answer... "We're sorry, these appartments are only for Bachellor's level students, but we'll be happy to offer you an individual room in our new appartments for students at the Graduate level for only 745 euros a month. Or you could share a room for half of this amount." Don't you say so! I'll get back to you once I speak with my manager. So now I'm still looking for a room and waiting for some answers. Plus other things, 'cause I just like it that way.

Truth is sometimes I get tired. I'm getting close to needing some kind of stability. It's true that I'm married, so I do have a family, but I would like to be able to call a place "home", to have a decent job, and make babies. On the other hand, my adventurous spirit and my eternal search for that Spanish experience won't let me rest until I've done my best to achieve my goals. People have always said to me "It's your age that gives you the guts to do it." I was told that when I left Romania, at 19. Two years later, my cousin gave me this line when I left for Canada, under a bit of an adverse omen. She was 30 at the time. Well, now I'm in between 27 and 28 years of age, and I still get that "It's your age..." phrase when talking about Spain. I don't think that's true. I wouldn't have the same guts if I were 70, obviously, but up to some point I think my main drive is my relentless ambition. It may also be stupid ambition, but it's mine and I have to pursue it. I get scared sometimes, I worry a lot, but I need to go on. I know my decisions affect other people, but I'm really doing my best to find a ballance here. I'm trying not to be too selfish, but I also have to follow one of my biggest dreams. I wouldn't want to resent anyone for the rest of my life for not having been able to take this chance. And I honestly do appreciate all the support I've been getting.
So here I am, shooting for the unknown for the third time. Hopefully, it will be the last time. But it might as well not be. We'll see.

Photo source: mind-mapping.co.uk

No comments: