Saturday, August 30, 2008

Daily Conversations

First phone call
My mom: "Mirela, there's been some sort of bacteria they found in Canada, in Toronto, I think, and some people have died because of it. It's found in meat, so pleeeeaaaase be careful not to eat too much meat and look at the package carefully."
Me: "Don't worry, mom, we don't east that much meat during the summer, and I always look at the expiration date when I buy it." (at that time, I had no idea there even existed such a warning, and it didn't impress me too much; I had bigger fish to fry and worry about. The only thing I knew I had to do was to assure my mom we'd be fine).

Second phone call:
Hypermarket (machine): "We'd like o inform you that there's been a warning issued regarding the product XXX that you bought from us. Although it is not on the list of potentially contaminated meats, we have been asked to withdraw it from circulation and to ask all customers to bring back the product so that they're reimbursed."
My husband: "Oooo Kkkk..."

- Ten days had passed since we had bought the product. It was for my husband's work, and, since it was very tasty and light, I had also eaten a considerable part of it. We had 3 slices left.-

First reading

Me: "It's not on the list, but it did come from that plant. I've just read some info and it says the number of the plant, which is identical with the one on the package. It says between three weeks and 70 days could pass before any signs appear, after which it is already too late . I'll go get my analisis done tomorrow, and depending on my result, you'll either take a day off now, or you'll have them done before I leave, during your vacation."
My husband: "Don't worry, I'm sure it's nothing serious. They're just being extra cautious. Go have your analysis done, so that you can leave with a light heart, but you'll see it's nothing. If you got listeriosis, it's from that mouthwash you use, Listerine. (trying to make a joke which didn't really work on me at that time)"

First visit to the clinic
Me: "I wouldn't want to seem crazy, I'm not a hypochondriac or paranoid, but I've just received this call and I would like to get some analysis done to make sure I don't have listeriosis."
Receptionist (smiling ironically and speaking loudly): "Miss, there's been no recorded cases in Quebec, so we don't have the required analysis. We wouldn't want to cause panic among people. If you want, you can call this number."

Second reading
Me: "It's on the new list! Obviously. At first there were 3, but now 15 people have died."

I have to say I'm somewhat scared. And the irony is that the way authorities and medical staff handles the issue is what made me so. I understant there's no analysis available yet here, but don't laugh in my face and tell me you don't want to panica people. I was the one who got the phone call, so I didn't just start inventing symptoms out of some sort of hypochondriac issue. There's been no recorded deaths in Quebec yet? OK, so we need a few casualties before we can start protecting and informing people. I try very hard not to exagerate, but it's kind of hard when you know you're leaving in two weeks to a country that most certainly does not have the means to detect or treat such a disease, while leaving your husband alone, who's known for not being the first to go see a doctor. Although you realize the odds are in your favour, knowing that there is a remote possibility to feel sick only after more than two months can cause you anxiety.
I just hope no one else gets sick and dies. Maybe it could be contained. You know it's unlikely to get sick, but it's a grim feeling, nevertheless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh cool down, I'm sure you are just worring for nothing. Ever saw a devil dead ? :-)

Anonymous said...

P.S. The Listerine joke was actually good :D

Mirela said...

I know, I'm getting over it already. I've been in a strange mood lately, so it's easier for this kind of things to get to me. Thanks :-).

Anonymous said...

mama ta vb cu tine in engleza....
damn!!!