Friday, August 15, 2008

Saint Joseph's Oratory Moments

I had no idea there were pilgrims who would climb the stairs to an Oratory on their knees. Do they feel like they get closer to God by doing this? If He wanted us to go through such pain, why did He send Jesus to us? On the other hand, if you still want to show your humility and remorse, I'd better see you on a cross, with blood gushing from your hands and feet.
When did it become fashionable to have your picture taken while you light candles for the ones you love? I know the votive chapel was mesmerizing, I did take some pictures myself, but I didn't feel the need to appear in them! While you're at it, why not take pictures of you hi-fiving Jesus's statue or french kissing Virgin Mary's icons?
Among other things that impressed me (the whole Oratory is breathtaking), there were two places where you could get guidebooks with information about the Oratory's history and attractions, to say so. The amazing thing is that they weren't sold by anyone. You could take them freely, but you were kindly asked by a few written signs to put 2 dollars in the box next to the case. I saw some people taking a leaflet and leaving one toonie, and I saw many more grabbing the book and continuing their way without becoming 2 dollars poorer. Maybe they missed the signs. Or maybe they didn't.

No comments: