Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sauteed Spiders, Anyone?

My mouth is watering, my eyes are wide open, and my papillae are experiencing what you might call "a culinary orgasm". All of these because I'm watching a documentary on Animal Planet about insect eating in Thailand. Yummm!!!
When I arrived in New York, in 2000, my cousin's husband used to work in an upscale Chinese restaurant. Without knowing that fancy new yorkers wouldn't think of eating such things as ants or snakes, the first thing I asked him was whether he could bring me any kind of insect to try. Of course he answered "No", but he still offered to bring me some orange pork or Chinese noodles. Imagine the disappointment!
And now I'm watching this show and seeing all those people enjoy the wonderful larvae, spiders and crickets... My husband says I'm a freak. He might be right, but I still hope (and will do my best) to one day be able to enjoy those delicacies. Mmmmm!!!

No comments: